Kathy Hester began her plant-based, vegan journey decades ago...back in the 1980s.
She's written numerous cookbooks and has a passion for slow cooking but on occasion enjoys using the Instant Pot too!
Her newest book comes out in January of 2017 but today she shares her journey and a couple of recipes.
Join the brand-new plant-based mindfulness group on Facebook Join here
Do you have a question or concern about your journey to eating plant-based vegan food? Reach out to Mark Dillon at MarkDillon.com/Contact
Buy An Instant Pot or Slow Cooker:
Stay in touch at:
Some links may contain affiliations that offer compensation for Mark Dillon and/or MarkDillon.com.
Pineapple Rum Beans from The Great Vegan Bean Book
- 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil (*use water or broth)
- ½ small onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup (165 g) pineapple, chopped small
- 3 cups (750 g) cooked pinto or black beans or 2 cans (15 ounces, or 420 g each), rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons rum
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon salt (plain or smoked)
- Black pepper, to taste
- Cayenne pepper, to taste
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute more.
- Add the pineapple, beans, rum, thyme, paprika, marjoram, and cumin.
- Cook over medium heat until it starts simmering and then decrease the heat to low and cover. Simmer for 25 to 35 minutes, until the flavors meld.
- Season with salt, pepper, and cayenne.